School’s out and summer is off and running. Today many churches will launch one of the largest and most significant kids events and community outreach events of their church year – VBS (Vacation Bible School).
A Little History
The origins of VBS can be traced back to 1894 when a public school teacher and Sunday School teacher, D.T. Miles from Hopedale, Illinois, felt she didn’t have enough time on Sunday to teach children the Bible so she started a daily Bible School for the summer. The first Bible school lasted FOUR weeks! Imagine recruiting volunteers for that.
In 1898 Virginia Sinclair Hayes, director of the children’s department at Epiphany Baptist Church in New York City, started an “Everyday Bible School” for neighborhood children. They met during the summer at a rented beer parlor in New York’s East Side.
The concept began to spread to local churches and really took off by the 20th century, continuing up to today. These two women had the vision and commitment to start something that has lasted over 120 years.Two women had the vision and commitment to start something that has lasted over 120 years. Click To Tweet
For 90 years, LifeWay has been providing VBS resources for churches. Today, LifeWay’s VBS alone serves over 25,000 churches reaching over 3 million children. Add to this the many other churches that will use other curriculum for their VBS, and the influence only grows with millions of children and families impacted across our nation and internationally.
Please join me in praying for VBS this summer.
6 Things to Pray for VBS
1. Pray for children to develop a heart for God and His Word.
2. Pray for families to be reached through this ministry to their children.
3. Pray for the staff and volunteer workers who will teach, lead, and serve. Pray for their strength, health, patience, and most of all that the love of Christ would be shown through them. Pray that they would receive an overflow of blessings from their week of service.
4. Pray for the community beyond the church to be impacted by this ministry.
5. Pray that the church would be stronger because of this ministry.
6. Pray, above all, that Christ would be magnified and the gospel would be advanced through this ministry to children.
Today, as a sixty-year-old woman, I am thankful for the impact VBS had in my own life and the life of my daughters. Today my oldest grandson, Josiah, will be going to VBS, so you know this grandmother will be praying this week for sure.Today, LifeWay’s VBS alone serves over 25,000 churches reaching over 3 million children. Click To Tweet
Has VBS impacted your life or your family?
When Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me. Don’t stop them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you: Whoever does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’ After taking them in His arms, he laid his hand on them and blessed them. Mark 10:14-16