Do you have any difficult people in your life? People who easily hurt with words? They appear defensive so they put you on the defensive. You have to watch every word you say for fear you will set off some trigger in them that causes them to lash out in anger. Or maybe this person is you.
Do people walk on egg shells around you? Do they avoid you? Do they hold back for fear of your reaction?
When you don’t heal, you hurt. When you don’t forgive others, you hurt. When you don’t forgive yourself, you hurt. It is true physically, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually.Click To Tweet
Here are 10 signs of hurt people who hurt others:
- They are easily threatened so they are quick to attack with words.
- They misread people often assuming others are against them.
- They don’t see or comprehend the pain they inflict on others.
- They don’t understand why people don’t understand them.
- They will not let down their guard so they are always on the defensive.
- They don’t take responsibility for their behavior.
- They are easily offended.
- They are quick to react in anger.
- If they feel backed in a corner on any issue, they will come out fighting.
- They rarely have close intimate friendships.
It is hard to help a hurting person unless they want the help. But I have found that understanding they are hurting helps. And it helps to pray for God to help you see them the way He does. Often this prayer changes my perspective and I am reminded of God’s grace, mercy, and patience with me!
If you are the one hurt, know your pain is causing others pain and get help for yourself and those around you. It really does matter.
What signs have you seen of hurting people hurting others?
“Therefore, God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, accepting one another and forgiving one another if anyone has a complaint against another. Just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you must also forgive.” Colossians 3:12-13