Blog Post by Rodney A. Wilson
Rodney Wilson is a regular guest post writer on Selma on Leadership. Rodney has been a marriage and family pastor/counselor for almost 20 years. Rodney and Selma have been married for 40 years and they have spoken and written on marriage and family issues for most of their married life.
It’s time to Carpe Seasono! (How about that for a made-up term?) Let’s seize the season! Carve some time out to celebrate the cooling of the temp, the turning of the trees, and the chill in the breeze as autumn draws near. Don’t let this special season pass your family by without taking advantage of it.Enjoy the fall season with your family. Here are 6 fun fall ideas to do with your family! Click To Tweet
Here are 6 fun activities you can do with your family in this season:
1) “Pumpkin Patch”. Take a field trip to a farm, a pumpkin patch-like place in the country. Find one in your area where you and your kids can experience hayrides, games, corn mazes, feeding the animals, and pumpkins everywhere. My grandson’s kindergarten class took a field trip to one of these. His mom went with them and said the one-hour ride was well worth it.
2) Bonfire. Let it get colder. (This might need to be a later fall thing.) Take an afternoon with your kids/grandkids to gather sticks from your yard. If you are not blessed with sticks like we are, then go to a store and buy a few rics of kindling wood. Leaves can be a great source of fire, too, if they’re dry. Your bonfire might more resemble a smaller fire pit fire but that’s okay. The point is to provide a place for some serious roasting of marshmallows and hotdogs and time together.
Note: if you’re planning to have a big fire, check with your local authorities to see if a burn permit is required. They are free in our state, (TN) but need to be secured before the burn.
3) Hiking. Make it as simple or elaborate as you wish, but this is a really cool whole-family activity. Go to a state park. Buy a fancy walking stick for everyone, or like us, just find a strong stick for each family member along the trail as you go.
Such memories! When our girls were little, hiking was the first activity we discovered that the whole family could enjoy together. This fall outing is an opportune time to teach your kids/grandkids about God’s amazing creative ability and His grace in sharing that beauty with us. (How countless are Your works, Lord! Psalm 104:24)
4) Fall Festival. Almost every school, church or community group has an event where autumn is celebrated. Lots of games, goodies, cakewalks, blowup toys and rides while connecting with other families in your community. Plus, your attendance at these events shows your support for the organization providing the fall festival.
In Matthew (5:13) Jesus said that as believers we are to be salt and light in this world. He’s talking about influence. To be flavoring and a difference in a world without Him. What a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the fall as a family while mixing with other people in your area.
5) Leaf Raking/Leaf Jumping. In your own yard it’s fun. Still don’t have those trees? No prob. Buy or borrow a rake and head to your local park.
Even better, find someone (a shut-in, or elderly family for example) who needs their leaves raked. Tell them your family will do their leaves for a certain price. The price? That you all get to jump in them before you completely dispose of them! I bet they will accept that price!
Leaf raking for others is a win-win. It is a fun family activity while helping and serving others. Go for it!
6) Planting a tree. One remedy of you not having a tree is to plant one (or several) as a family. Maples grow rather quickly for example and their leaves may even begin turning colors the very next fall. If you stay at your place long enough, sticks will be showered upon you for your annual bonfire. The trees we planted many years ago now are huge. It is hard to believe but sweet to remember those “twigs” we planted that now give us much shade.
So make a family memory. Plant a tree.
Enjoy the fall season with your family. Seize it! Blessings, closeness and memories await you.