This Sunday, most churches will do something to honor mothers in celebration of Mother’s Day. Mothers will be asked to stand to be recognized on this special day. Some churches will give flowers or a gift to all mothers. Our church does a special service for babies and young children where families are prayed over and the church is challenged to support the parents in raising their children to know Christ.
It is good for the church to honor mothers and to celebrate the family but in this same service there will be many women who are hurting.It's good for the church to honor mothers but in this same service there will be many women who are hurting. Click To Tweet
Mother’s Day will surface the pain of many such as:
1. The woman struggling to get pregnant.
2. The mom who has recently miscarried.
3. The woman who lost a baby at birth.
4. The woman who is single and longs to be a mom.
5. The woman whose own mother abandoned her.
6. The woman who has recently lost her mom.
7. The woman who has a broken relationship with her mother.
8. The mom who has lost a child whether recently or years ago.
9. The guilt-ridden mom who had an abortion.
10. The mom whose husband has abandoned her and the children.
I have a name and a face for each one of these hurting women. So what is the church to do?
Here are 3 ways the church can honor mothers and also serve those who are hurting:
1. Honor the role of moms and also the role of women overall.
The same qualities of a good mother can be some of the same qualities of many women serving in the church. Honor the role of women who help mother other women’s children. Mothering can take a lot of different forms, and many women are amazing moms without being the biological mother.
2. Pray over the moms and over the women who may be hurting on this day of celebration.
Honor the mothers on this day but also acknowledge those that are hurting and those that have suffered loss. There is something beautiful and healing just to know you are not forgotten and that the church knows and cares for you.
3. Provide resources, counseling, support, and groups for moms and for hurting women.
Mother’s Day is a great day to communicate the ministries of the church that support moms, families, and those that may be hurting. Maybe have a celebration bag with gifts and information about all your church offers and give to each woman in the service. The Church can very tangibly be the feet and hands of Christ on this day. As a result, hopefully at least one woman can feel the Father’s heart of love towards her on a day that might be hard for her to bear.
I love that the church is a place for all women no matter what our stories. It is a place for those that are hurting and for those that are celebrating. Our stories become one story, the story of the Christ’s redemption love.On Mother's Day, the Church is a place for those that are hurting and for those that are celebrating. Click To Tweet
As mothers and as women, may this be our prayer:
“Lord, You are my portion and my cup of blessing; You hold my future. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.”
How does your church honor mothers and women?
Happy Mother’s Day!