Guest Blog Post by Rodney A. Wilson
Mother’s Day is prime time for affirming mom, your wife. When counseling couples I often challenge them to give each other an affirmation a day for 30 days. After day 5 and it’s time for yet another affirmation, I tell them that is when you pray, saying “Open my eyes to the goodness of my mate. What else can I affirm her for that I have overlooked?”
Make this your prayer as you seek to bless the mom in your family. Below are some idea starters but ask the Lord to open your eyes so you can truly honor your wife on this special weekend.
10 Last-Minute Mother’s Day Ideas for Your Wife
- Give her a handwritten note with the 5 top ways she has blessed you in her mothering skills.
- Breakfast in bed. I’ve never drunk or made coffee in my life, but sneaking off to get her a McCoffee to go with the toast and jelly our little girls “cooked” went over very well.
- Post on social media. Yeah, everyone will be doing that but think specifically. What in particular makes your wife stand out as a special mom? That’s what you post.
I call this section the “Favorite” section:
- Let her decide where you will eat this weekend. Her favorite restaurant or you guys cook her favorite meal at home? (Oh how I have blessed Selma through the years with the restaurant option as I just don’t cook! You’re welcome, honey.)
- Or if she prefers, order her favorite food, go pick it up and eat at home away from the crowd.
- Surprise her with her favorite dessert at home at the end of the day. (Do you see a trend here? A food trend? Perhaps on Monday you can treat her to her favorite diet program. Perhaps not. Perhaps this was just for your reading amusement.)
- If you go in the flowers direction, make sure they are her favorite kind and color.
Get the kids involved …
- Have them draw something, sing something, make a play dough sculpture or write and perform a play portraying what mom means to them. Their creativity will amaze both you and mom.
- From her phone or social media, make hard copies of her best pics of the kids for her. Some people still like the framed ones best.
- If you do get flowers, let each child pick out their own bouquet. Perhaps the number of flowers for the number of years she’s been a mom.
However you choose to highlight mom this weekend, make it personal. Customize these or any other ideas you discover to make it special for her.Mother's Day is this weekend, customize these 10 last-minute gift ideas for your wife to make it personal! Click To Tweet
You can do this, man. Have fun with it but don’t take this weekend lightly. Use your brain and work on this a bit. It is an opportune season to give your wife a most-needed paycheck. The paycheck of gratitude and honor.