We have intentional plans for so many areas of our lives (health, finance, career, etc.), but often we aren’t intentional about having a great marriage. God created marriage. It was part of His plan from the beginning (Genesis 1-2). Often, it is the little things that we do on a regular basis that makes the difference between an okay marriage and a great marriage.It's the little things which make the difference between an okay marriage and a great marriage. Click To Tweet
Check in with your spouse and see if these insights are helpful. Maybe the conversation alone will reinforce your commitment to your marriage and make sure you are on the same page. Why not take this post and have a date night to discuss?
10 Ways to Know You’re in a Healthy Marriage
- You start your morning by connecting. You don’t rush out the door without a few minutes to focus on each other. A hug, a kiss, a “how can I pray for you today”, and “I love you.”
- You get excited to get a text or message from my spouse during the day.
- If you get good news during the day, your spouse is the first person you want to tell.
- You pray specifically for your spouse during the day.
- You are looking forward to date night on ________________. You look forward to a romantic evening with your spouse and are guarding your time and energy for them.
- You love picking up that special book, new jazz song, or special cup of coffee as a surprise for your spouse. Or maybe it is doing something they normally do like filling up the car with gas, fixing dinner, mowing the law, or letting them sleep in while you take care of the kids. You know your spouse’s favorites (ice cream, pizza, music, golf course, etc.) and think of intentional ways to make them smile.
- You are willing to say “I am sorry” when you mess up and you are willing to say “I forgive you” when your spouse messes up. Right now, you can’t think of any unresolved conflict in your marriage.
- When you get insight in your time in God’s Word, you can’t wait to share with your spouse.
- You are your spouse’s #1 fan and encourager. You love bragging on them in front of others.
- After work or your day’s activities, you look forward to seeing your spouse and hearing about their day.
These are just some examples of how to know you’re in a healthy marriage, but there are many others I could have listed!
How do you keep your marriage healthy?