Welcome to Season 4, Episode 9 of the Selma on Leadership podcast. In this episode my co-host Kristen McCall and I continue our summer development series and discuss First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently by Gallup Press and James K. Harter. Join us as we discuss Gallup’s remarkable findings after interviewing more than 80,000 managers.
In this episode you will learn:
- Characteristics of a good manager
- How to assess your team and know where their strengths are and where there is room for improvement
- Creating a positive team environment where employees thrive
The 12 Elements of Great Managing:
- I know what is expected of me at work.
- I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
- At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
- In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
- My supervisor or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
- There is someone at work who encourages my development.
- At work, my opinions seem to count.
- The mission and purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important.
- My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
- I have a best friend at work.
- In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
- This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.
Click to Listen
This is a book not just about theory, but it’s about proven, validated research principles applied to teams. These principles will help you build not just a more productive work team, but a happier, healthier, and more engaged work team.
A favorite quote of mine from the book: “If you can create the kind of environment where employees answer positively to all 12 items, then you’re going to have a great place to work.
- Summer Development, First Break All the Rules
- 4 Reasons to Take a Leadership Pause this Summer
- #1 Leadership Action to do This Summer
- Why Leaders Need Rest
- Connect with Selma Wilson on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram
- Connect with Kristen Steele McCall on her blog, KristenMcCall.com, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter
Click here to download a full transcript of this episode.
I’d Love to Hear From You
What do you think about the podcast? What are you most looking forward to hearing from me on the podcast?
If you have an idea for a podcast episode or a question about something we’ve discussed in an episode, you can email me or comment below.
Also if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. Your comments help to get the word out about the new podcast!