Children and youth are a big part of the shift in summer whether our own children, grandchildren, or the children in our neighborhoods or churches. From summer camps, to church focused children’s ministries, kids and summer just go together and it is a good time to invest some of our leadership time to them. One of my favorite summer events for years has been attending our church’s youth camp. I love spending time with middle school and high school students. They challenge me with their faith and in their endless reserve of energy!
What ministry will you add to your summer plans? Here are 15 ways you can give back and serve this summer. It will be good for your leadership development.What ministry will you add to your summer plans? Here are 15 ways you can give back and serve this summer. Click To Tweet
15 Ministry Ideas for Your Summer Development
- Serve in Vacation Bible School.
- Serve at a children’s or youth camp.
- Lead a local mission project with college and young adults.
- Choose three people to disciple or mentor this summer. Choose a book of the Bible (Nehemiah, Mark, and James are great) or use another book as a guide.
- Do yard work for a single mom, widow or elderly person. Better yet, take some teens with you as you model servant leadership.
- Tutor a child or teen in an area where they are struggling.
- Give the gift of a summer weekend retreat to your pastor and his wife.
- Teach ESL (English as a Second Language) to someone in your community.
- Invite a single mom and her children to be a part of some of your family outings for the summer.
- Invest in a young family by keeping the children overnight for mom and dad to have some quality alone time to invest in their marriage.
- Investigate in foster care.
- Check into youth who graduate out of foster care with nowhere to go.
- Invest in a troubled teen.
- Host a Back Yard Bible Club for kids in your neighborhood.
- Help a teen find a job for the summer while coaching them on preparing a resume, preparing for an interview, building a portfolio, etc.
… and so many more ideas! Ask God to open your eyes to see the possibilities and invest in ministry this summer. It will strengthen your leadership as you serve others.Ask God to open your eyes to see the possibilities and invest in ministry this summer. Click To Tweet
“Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure — pressed down, shaken together, and running over — will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38
What other summer ministry ideas would you add?