Do People Follow You Out of Admiration or Obligation?
There are leaders of influence and leaders who hold position power. There are leaders we have to follow because they hold power over us and there are leaders we want to follow because they challenge us, inspire us, and compel us to live on purpose and mission.
There is the leader who holds the power but how they lead is anything but inspiring. And then there is the leader we admire, the leader whose character and competency are aligned.
Which leader are you?Are you a leader who inspires or are you a leader who just deals in power? Click To Tweet
Now is a good time to stop, turn around, and see who is really following you.
Here is what you get when people follow you out of obligation:
- They say what you want to hear.
- They show engagement only when you are around.
- They will salute your authority and even use it to get what they want.
- They will only do enough to get by. They won’t give you more.
- They are looking for another position right now.
Here is what you get when people follow you out of admiration:
- They will speak well of you in all places and all times.
- They want to go where you want to lead.
- They desire to learn from you and to grow because of you.
- They will give you more than you ask them to give.
- They will stay with you even when pursued by others and offered more money.
There is a high price to pay when people only follow you out of obligation and your leadership legacy will only last as long as you are in your position. But, when you lead well and people follow because they want to follow, your leadership legacy will last long after you are gone. Lead well. It matters.There is a high price to pay when people only follow you out of obligation. Lead well. It matters. Click To Tweet
“Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.” Philippians 2:3
What lessons did you learn when you had to follow a leader out of obligation? What benefits have you gained when following a leader you admired?