Romance is in the air with Valentine’s Day soon approaching. Marketing campaigns are hammering us with the need to get something for the one we love: from greeting cards to diamond rings, flowers and chocolates, candlelight dinners, and even new cars! Most marketing messages will focus on men doing something romantic for the woman in his life but men need romance too.
Romance means doing something special or unexpected for the person you love. It is creating a feeling of excitement about love. It is about celebrating a relationship.
While men and women are different, both need to be reminded they are special to the one they love.
It is the little things in a marriage that can make a marriage relationship strong. Romance is mostly about the little things (not a new car!) that say I know you and I love you.
Men may not be as open about romance but it matters to them too. For men, romance says:
- I matter to you.
- You know me.
- You haven’t forgotten me.
- You took time for me.
- You are still in love with me.
Romance isn’t a formula. It is as unique as your spouse. Just as romantic acts aren’t the same for all women, they aren’t the same for all men. The key is doing something thoughtful, personal, special, and unique just for them. It is taking the time and effort, going out of your way, to say they matter to you.
Keeping in mind the uniqueness of your spouse, here are a few ideas to jump-start your thinking:
- A favorite book.
- A special card.
- Tickets for a special event (sports event, musical, play)
- Washing his car and filling it up with gas.
- Fixing his favorite meal or dessert.
- A curl up on the couch evening watching his favorite show (complete with his favorite snacks)
- A surprise date that you plan.
- An overnight trip that you plan.
- Planning an activity he loves and going with him (golfing, hunting, running, seeing the movie he likes, building something together, etc.)
- Writing him a letter that tells him all the reasons you love him.
Do something romantic for your husband this season. Marriage is a wonderful gift from God and it is to be celebrated.
“My love is fit and strong, notable among ten thousand. . . His mouth is sweetness. He is absolutely desirable. This is my love, and this is my friend, young women of Jerusalem.” Song of Songs 5:10,16
What do you do to keep your marriage relationship strong?